Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Libraries Are Not Quiet

Especially when I have to shout in the phone to Dave my 83-year-old library boyfriend.

Our latest conversation (after he's made about 6 silly jokes about how I should stay just the way I am after asking me how I am)

Dave: "I'm looking at a topigraphical map of Cuba and I see something that looks like coral reefs or an island or something.  I need you to translate a word, it's spelled j-a-r-d-i-n-e-s"

Me: "That means 'grounds'"

Dave: "What? Drunks?"

Me: "No, Dave. GGGGRRRROUNDSSSSSS"

Dave: mumbling random words

Me: "G-R-O-U-N-D-S!"

Dave: "J-R-O? No!  J-A-R-D-I-N-E-S!"

Me: "Dave! I know! I'm telling you what that means! Jardines means GROUNDS!"

Dave: "Trounds?"

Me: head in hands "NO! GROUNDS! G-R-O-U-N-D-S"

Dave: "T?"

Me: "NO! G! As in 'GOOD', 'GROVER', "GARBAGE'"

Dave: "Ooooooohhhh G! Grounds.  Oh. hm. So guess it's their word for islands."

Me: "Yup"

Dave: "HA! YUP!"

Me: "Ok, bye Dave"

Dave: "Bye my dear! Stay sweet!"

So frustrating, yet comically ridiculous...Meanwhile I'm yelling this across the library as people laugh at me.  Also keep in mind, this happens approximately 3 times a day. 

Oh Dave....

No comments: