Monday, April 16, 2012

Interesting Play, Sir



The 2012 Pulitzer Prize winners were just announced and they have given "No Award" for Fiction.  According to the Pulitzer FAQ
According to The Plan of the Award "If in any year all the competitors in any category shall fall below the standard of excellence fixed by the Pulitzer Prize board, the amount of such prize or prizes may be withheld"
I find this fascinating and a little bit shocking.  Granted, I suppose I'm not surprised that there was also no award for "Editorial Writing" but Fiction?  There really wasn't a single book that warranted the award? According to my quick research, the last year this happened was 1977.  Since 1918, this is only the 10th time they have abstained from awarding a prize for Fiction.  The 70's take the top honors of being owners of 3 of those "No Award"s. 

This being said, I don't have a great idea as to what should have won but considering the titles that got MASSIVE press....1Q84, Freedom, The Marriage Plot, The Tiger's Wife...

To fiction writer's everywhere--here's your kick in the ass. Love, Pulitzer.

**UPDATE** One thing I didn't realize--The Pulitzer is meant for American authors writing stories preferably "dealing with American life"..which I guess takes 1Q84 and The Tiger's Wife out of contention...

No comments: