Monday, April 23, 2012

Speed Reader

Andy always teases me for being a fast reader.  But I'm feeling pretty slow lately and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it kinda stresses me out.  This, I know, is a GIANT sign of nerdiness.  I'm also fairly confident that I'm in a weird speed reading competition that is just not being spoken about publicly.  So when I see friends finishing books at a crazy fast pace, I realize I'm losing.

I also debate the idea of not watching television at night and reading instead but then I realize that I'd be missing some crucial information on the Voice.

Anyway, Staples has posted a speed reading test online where you read a page and then answer 3 questions to prove you read it.  I didn't feel very speedy while I was doing it but according to the test, I read 352 words per minute.  Which places me at 52% faster than the national average.  So that's cool.  However, it also claims that the average college student is reading faster than that?  I find this hard to believe but then again, I haven't had to skim a textbook chapter in a number of years so maybe I'm just out of practice?  

The great news is that I'm planning on reading The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for my 3rd classic and according to this, I will be able to finish it in 7 hours and 27 minutes.  Which is pretty convenient if you ask me.  

Try your speed reading skills out!


ereader test




































2 comments:

Wilde.Dash said...

Yessssssssss. Apparently I could read War and Peace in 23 hours if I really wanted to. The thing about that, I think, is that I don't. I really, really don't...

Unknown said...

I only read 351 words/minute, 11th grade level! That sucks. I thought I was much faster than that. I think that awful book I just read affected my reading skills.