Friday, June 28, 2013

Back From Crazy Land!

It's been a crazy month around here.  The library spent the last month moving from our temporary location into our new remodeled library.  It was weeks of shifting books, learning where things were, no internet, no phones, and trying to get ready.  But we're open now! and it looks gorgeous so come visit!

To get back in the blog swing of things, I thought I would highlight a fascinating image from the New Yorker this week.  Their comment on the fall of DOMA.  This image surprised me.

I think it's lovely and bothersome all at the same time.  I love the idea of showing the impact equality has on all of us.  I also think the image is incredibly sweet.  There is, however, a gut feeling of "why do we need to politicize children's characters?" The discussion of Bert and Ernie has always had the gay theory behind it but why do we care? Why do we feel the need to label Bert and Ernie? I don't know.  Thoughts??  Anyone else torn on this?

Either way, I don't think I've seen an image in a long time that could create such dialog.  Occasionally there are books, films, and images that make me want to write a paper discussing their meanings (Up in the Air with George Clooney being one...).  This image begs to have a paper written about it.

Fascinating


(Find the New Yorker article HERE)

No comments: