Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Great Should Stick Around


My friend, Flynn Schulz, passed away this past weekend.  Our mothers have been friends for 40+ years and Flynn was just a couple months older than me. Needless to say, we spent a lot of time together growing up and I vaguely remember Pam's plans for me to eventually marry Flynn when we grew up.  That may not have been on the life agenda but Facebook allowed Flynn and I to reconnect a couple years ago and I had the pleasure of reading about his wild antics through posts. I followed pictures and posts about his races (he recently completed the Leadville 100..which is fairly ridiculous) and occasionally exchanged comments with him...

We didn't spend much time together in our adult lives (I can't remember the last time I actually saw him in person..maybe not since high school graduations?) but I absolutely believe we would have been fast friends even outside of our lifetime bonds...

There are friends who fade away as we get older to just become memories of that guy you once knew and there are friends who will always be connected to you no matter how many years it's been since you last saw them.  Flynn is one of those friends for me.  If he ever needed me, I would have helped him.  If I saw him at a bar, I would have gladly pulled up a seat next to him. I think he would have said the same about me.

I won't get a chance to do these things but I'll wear something red at any race I run for the rest of my life, I'll try to cheer on every person I meet, I'll take chances instead of letting them pass me by, I'll push myself harder than I think I can, and I'll live life loving fully.

This is what I'm going to do for my friend Flynn.
Flynn Garret Schulz 1980-2013

Flynn G. Schulz Just getting someone to smile makes my day, stay warm on this dire day.


*sent to me on a cold February day in 2011....



No comments: