Monday, May 7, 2012

So I'm Thinking About Streaking


I have a subscription to Runner's World magazine.  I got it as a prize from Nike+ so don't be tricked into thinking I paid money for this because I'm such a serious runner.  However, I do find it to be a really great magazine and am occasionally inspired to do more running because of it.  One of the things I've noticed a lot of lately, is talk about "streaking".  Running naked?  Not quite.  Streaking refers to the act of running at least 1 mile every day, rain or shine.  From what I gather, the longest streak is currently at 43.79 years.  That's as of today--Mark Covert owns the streak with 15,995 consecutive days of running.  When I got my newest issue a week or so ago, there was a small article about Martha Staten (follow her on Twitter) who drank a different beer every day of her 2011 streak.  365 different beers!  Totally earned with 365 runs! That's awesome and that's a lady I can appreciate.

Anyway, I keep finding myself thinking about taking on this challenge.  I can't decide if I could pull it off, if I have enough dedication to follow through, what my starting goal would be?  More importantly, what sort of treats am I giving myself?  Do I follow Martha Staten's example and drink a beer a day? Treat myself to a different bottle of wine on Sundays? I don't know...All I know is it seems like a good challenge...Anyone care to join me?  I'd be much more inclined with a buddy!

Check out these articles and blogs--

The Streaking Runner

In It for the Long Run- Wall Street Journal

Run Drink Repeat

Beer Runner Blog



No comments: